Translate

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The greater the height the greater the fall

Hi Everyone - hope you all are doing well

This topic came up at our Chrono breakfast last Saturday. We were talking about how amazing Solomon was and if we'll see him in heaven. Then Lisa B. brought up 1 Kings 11:4-8 which led her to believe that Solomon might not have made it. This is a sobering thought. God says in 1 Kings 3:12 "I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be". So our debate was how can the wisest man who lived and ever will live not make it to heaven? I guess wisdom doesn't always equal salvation.

We see in 1 Kings 3:14 there is a BIG IF that God gives Solomon "And IF you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life." I wonder if what God was talking about when he says "a long life" if he's referring to the after life, or just a long life on earth, which is meaningless if you don't make it to heaven.

Does anyone really know how long Solomon lived, he was king for about 40yrs and some say he became king when he was about 20, so he was about 60yrs old. That doesn't seem like a long life. Although being king for 40yrs will take its toll on you, not to mention being married to 700 wives. Yikes!!! Did they perform marriage ceremonies for each of those 700 wives? That’s a lot of wedding cake.

What I also found interesting is how God raised up adversaries for Solomon. That got me thinking of the adversaries in my life and if God raised those people up for the sole purpose to teach me a lesson when I chose to sin against God. I’m looking forward to reading Ecclesiastes in the topical arrangement; hopefully it will shed some light on some of my questions.

1 comment:

Tera Chau said...

Wow GREAT thoughts Mitchkie! You had me going from "hmmm" in thought to cracking up with ur humor, well done! Haha good thing Sol was super rich and could materially afford 700 wives a few hundred concubines.

I wonder if we have similar "adversaries" (besides Satan and his demons) if we are trying with all our hearts to do what is good and right, and we begin to have adversaries only when we turn from God as Sol did? Regardless, I agree with you that God is continually teaching and molding us into the person He created us to be :)