Translate

Monday, May 18, 2009

questions on Proverbs

Gosh I luuuuuv Proverbs! Lots of great nuggets for my mind n heart n several admonishments too. But I have a question, do u guys know what these proverbs mean?

Prov 26:4-5
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself.
Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

Huh? Kinda opposites sorta? Confusing :(

Also, what r ur thots on Prov 20:30
Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.

What does this mean to u? Ya know how there is a philosophical debate out there bout whether we should take the bible literally or analogously, etc.? Well should this verse n others similar to it b taken literally?

Thanks for ur guidance/thots on this :)

1 comment:

Justin Seibel said...

I think the folly one has to do with you can't really do anything with a fool. the best way is to speak at the fools level, but by doing that it lowers you. so you can't win.

the other one, yeah that's kind of hard. maybe there is something metaphoric about this because otherwise we'd have some pretty physical hang times. A wound or beating can come other ways. Like for a parent to say one sentence to us, can wound us and it sticks for a long time. Wild at Heart talks about our false self being wounded and stopped, which is good for us. I feel like I took a 'beating' making one of my films. It was not the way they were teaching me in school and after that I made my next film differently, more like the way I was taught. Maybe the point is that wounds can do good, but that doesn't mean we should go around slicing and dicing. when it happens maybe we could try to see the good in it. "consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds..." and of course abuse is something entirely different and those types of wounds and beatings are wrong.