Translate

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Temple of God

The reading from today made me more grateful for references to the temple in the New Testament :). Specifically...

1) God dwelt in the temple that Solomon built: “...the glory of the LORD filled the temple of God.” 2 Chron 5:13-14

2) The temple was the one place where God would hear their prayers: In his dedicatory prayer, Solomon asked God to hear and answer their prayers, including prayers for…
victories (with the enemy, etc.)
basic needs (rain, etc.)
healing (from illness, pain, etc.)
other people (strangers, etc.)

And while there is no ginormous, gold-plated temple located anywhere in my neighborhood (lemme know if there is one in your neighborhood so I can come visit hehe), there is another kind of temple available to all of us, Paul wrote…

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own…” 1 Cor 6:19

Disciples are little temples in which the Holy Spirit dwells, and God hears all our prayers whether they are said in our heads, on our beds, or in a lil bimmer that’s red (like Lisa’s cute lil car hehe). Woohoo for our NT temples! We are sooooooo lucky! :)

2 comments:

Justin Seibel said...

Yeah it's great we can pray anywhere. Like in the snow, in another country, scuba diving, or in our bedroom and God hears us.

Jax in the Blog said...

Thanks Tera for the insight. It's funny, or Am Funny...just read previous/recent blogs and comments...I cracked myself up.

anyways, I appreciate you writing about the temple of God as you did. I made a comment on Justin's baseball blog about it...I think we were in two different fields..haha.

anyways, as I was just commenting about the temple as well, I too also love the fact that God has allowed himself to live in us or us being "the temple of the Holy Spirit". It's absolutely unbelievable how loving and humble God is to care enough to not just be with us but also be In us! Amazing!

However, the reading from today's re "God covenants w/Solomon" also reminded me of how God's grace in conditional see 1Kings 9:1-9. So there is an expectation of Him living in us or with us.