Translate

Monday, January 5, 2009

I was grateful to read about Abram (Abraham) today... I guess every time i think of Abraham I think of a man that was very faithful at times, while also faithless at times... What I read today gave me a whole different outlook on his character - he was also a warrior and he was bold as heck!!

In Genesis 14 Abraham puts together an army of trained men, and during the night, he goes on a mission to rescue his nephew Lot... And it wasn't like he went in and got Lot and rushed... The bible says "During the night Abram divided his men to attack them and he ROUTED them, PURSUING them as far as Hobah, north of Damascus"... He went in there with 318 men and routed the armies of 4 kings! Then he chased them into another city!! THEN - he went in and took all of Lot's possessions back, along with releasing all of the other captives... It doesn't say how many people were in the opposing armies, but I'm sure it wasn't just a few foot soldiers ya know?

In addition to all of this, back to my first point, Abram had to have faith and confidence that God was going to be with him in order to carry out this mission... And it wasn't like he sat around and talked to a bunch of people and contemplated whether or not he was going to do this... He saw that his nephew and his family was in need (even though they had argued in Gen 13 and they parted ways) and he immediately met that need...

One more thing and I promise I'll be done! hahaha.. Abram was a man of integrity... Check out the end of Gen 14 when Abram refused any gifts from the kings of Sodom... The people of Sodom and Gomorrah had a reputation of being evil people and I'm sure Abram was not naive to that... He chose to refuse their gifts - "I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say `I made made Abram rich.`"... He made this oath to God and he stuck to his word... He could have compromised in hopes of material prosperity, but he chose to hold onto his integrity before the Lord and allow God to make him prosper... This is an example of all of us to follow!!
okay, I'm done =)

No comments: